I really debated doing and Ymir recap.

You see, I put off posting about my Twilight Sparkle inspired Norse that I made for the event thinking I would do a big Ymir Event/Project post.  It wasn’t like it was a super-secret project or anything but I was really pushing myself to finish it as well as a Norse ensemble for my husband and I didn’t take time to post about either of them.  But the event…well, let’s just say I have had better Ymirs.

While my husband looked smashing in his Norse I didn’t get any pictures (he was marshaling the heavy tournament all day) and I didn’t even get to wear mine.  I did wear my very warm, very nice wool jerkin, but I had to whip stitch it closed in the front because the fabric I had brought with me for finishing up the buttons made the most horrid, awful buttons that I would rather have sewn myself into it than spent one more moment making ugly buttons that I would just have had to remake anyway.  It wasn’t ideal (sewing the jerking closed meant it was a little poochy/bunchy in the front where it should have overlapped to button) but it worked, I was warm, and only one person noticed.

It was a very pretty Ymir.  It was cold and brisk and we had a light snowfall and flurries all day but it didn’t stick to anything.  The kind of snowfall that would have been great for pictures…if I had taken any.  I didn’t get to fight in the tournament like I had planned but I did get to watch my apprentice win it.  I participated in the White Scarf Challenge and got in a few pickups.  I was disappointed that the Black Sword Tourney was allowed to run opposite the White Scarf Challenge.

So, now I need to get pictures up of the Norse ensembles I finished and the completed jerkin.  I had hoped to get pictures done this weekend but it looks like it will be later this week (Wed, Thursday, or Friday).

Blue Wool Jerkin

Blue Wool Jerkin

A man's hat made of burgundy fulled wool with tablet woven trim.

A man’s hat made of burgundy fulled wool with tablet woven trim.

After a very busy and quiet November and December this weekend was very productive project-wise.

On Saturday I made the blue wool jerkin that you see to the left to help keep me warm while fencing at ymir.  At this point all it needs is to have the lining sewn down in the arms and buttons and button holes.  I’m pretty pleased with how it turns out.  It’s a little big because I haven’t taken my doublet pattern in yet but it still looks really nice.

Sunday, before Baronial practice, I made a Norse cap for my husband for Ymir.  It went together way more quickly than I was expecting. I started from scratch around 9am, drafted a pattern, cut it out, fitted it, sewed the cap together, butterflied and stitched down the seams, hemmed it, had lunch, and added the trim all before noon.  He loved it and wore it all day.

As a state employee I have today off for the holiday and I have finally taken the time to updated several of my project pages that were badly in need of updating.  I still need to replace a lot of my pictures but one thing at a time. :)