Sometimes it happens. You had this fab idea for a project. It was exciting and it really got your juices flowing. But once you got further into it you realized that it wasn’t quite what you had had in mind when you first got started. It’s just not making you happy any more and you find yourself wondering if it’s better to trudge through and finish it up or shelve it until it does start to make you happy again.
I’ve been feeling that way myself lately. And I’ve come to the conclusion that sometimes it may just be better to shelve a project rather than to keep working on something that is no longer bringing you the joy it once was. Sometimes its better to shelve it and free yourself up to take on other projects that will bring you joy. After all, isn’t the fact that they bring us happiness and some measure of joy and fulfillment the whole reason we do these projects in the first place? Besides there is nothing that says you can’t come back to that old project at a later date.
So I’ve decided to step back from the projects that haven’t been bringing me joy so that I can focus on the things that are.
What am I putting on hold?
- The eBooks. Working on them and selling them through the site just hasn’t been as fun as I thought it would be so I’m shelving the project. What will I do with the two I already have? I’m not sure yet but I’m pondering several options.
- The Flanders Gown. It was so much more fun when I started it but once the fur went down hill it just wasn’t as inspiring anymore. Since all it needs are sleeves I will probably finish it but I’ll do something more simple that I had originally planned.
- Commissions. I’ve enjoyed working on the commissions I’ve taken but now that my most recent one is done I’ve decided to take some time for myself for a while. I have about 20 buttons to make and that’s it. I’m going to finish them in the next couple weeks and then I’m going to focus on some personal projects that have really been calling to me. The calendar will probably open up again for commissions at some point in the future but for now I’m going to focus on personal projects.
What am I still deciding on?
- The Etsy Shop. I just don’t know what to do about it. On the one hand I’ve enjoyed it and I have some big ideas for changes to it but on the other I’m not sure that the things I want to produce fit in best at Etsy. Still pondering this one.
What am I going to do more of?
- Fight. Fighting has been bringing me a lot of joy lately and I want to free up more time for it.
- Sew and Embroider for myself. I have several personal sewing projects that are calling to me. Plus less free time has meant less time for my embroidered jacket. I worked on it recently and it reminded me how much I’ve enjoyed this project and really want to free up more time for it.
- Enjoy the fresh air and warm sun. This winter was rather stressful but the thing that always made me feel better was going outside and walking around the building. Now that its starting to warm up being outside is even more pleasurable. I want to spend more time outside, go to fighter practice in the daylight, move my workouts outdoors, and get in a little diving. I can’t wait for Spring.
- Write. I’ve really enjoyed the FR and YWU articles that I’ve written and I have several ideas for new tutorials and HMA articles that I’ve been neglecting. I have two more FR articles in the works and I want to get started on at least one of the HMA articles after Ymir. I might even see about teaching at summer University.