After a nearly two year hiatus I have decided to reopen the Elizabethan Mafia blog. There will be some cross posting of sewing projects between this and my sewing blog, Nerd Girl Sewing, but I am very excited about bringing Elizabethan Mafia back to the WordPress blog format. I will also be posting my historical martial arts and arming garments research here as well as a weekly post dedicated to my CrossFit workouts and nutrition.
So as you can imagine things have been
crazy, insane, a LOT little hectic around the EM household with our new little bundle of joy. I’ve also been working on several freelance projects so what little time and sanity I have had after getting home from my day job has gone to those projects (one has to earn the kibble money after all) rather than my own. But we have some events coming up on the horizon (including Gulf Wars!!!!) so naturally my mind has been percolating on projects.
I considered doing Turkish for Atlantian 12th Night, but I just couldn’t get excited about it, despite the awesome site for the event. I also considered doing Norse again for Ymir but that just didn’t float my boat either. And then I thought to myself, do I really need to go looking for a new project when I already have so many things on my list. So I took a look at my 2013 Project List and Wardrobe Project.
I’ve really been wanting to try my hand at making some 10-gore gowns and I think those will fit in nicely with my Wardrobe Project. To help with the project I picked up a copy of Medieval Garments Reconstructed: Norse Clothing Patterns. I already had a copy of Woven Into the Earth and I’ve really enjoyed it. I can’t wait to work with Medieval Garments Reconstructed.
Meet Max. The newest addition to the EM household and the reason I have not been capable of making a decision about 12th Night projects.
Starting in early 2014 I will be re-opening my schedule for commissions. I am currently reviewing and revising my terms, cost structure, and fee schedule. If you have a commission in mind and would like to ask questions, please feel free to email me. My contact information is available on my About page.
If you follow my Facebook page (And you really should. There’s awesome stuff there!) you got to see some sneak peaks of my new Wonder Woman inspired rapier armor. Well, here it is. It’s finally finished.
As you know from my earlier posts I worked on this project for the Atlantian Heros and Villains Garb Challenge held at Atlantian Fall Coronation.
It’s made of medium weight linen, machine sewn and hand finished. The braid, a cotton blend sutash braid, was hand applied and the buttons were hand made cloth buttons made to match the braid and the gold linen lining. The stars on the side of the Venetians were appliqued by machine.
All of the patterns were created from garments featured in Janet Arnold’s Patterns of Fashion. I enlarged them from the book using the provided grid. I then created mock ups and fitted them by draping. The shoes were purchased several years ago from Bohemond and the garters are my Gardiners’ Company Garters. I had made a laso but forgot it while trying to pack for the event.
I had tried to wear my hair down for the day but it was so hot that it went up in a pony tail with in about an hour.
I did fight in it and it worked wonderfully. I can’t wait to wear it again. I plan to next wear it at Ymir and by then I hope to have completed a matching Elizabethan short cloak that I can both wear with the armor and use as a parrying device.
Sadly my hubby and I came home from Dragon*Con with a horrible case of con crud and I unfortunately had to cancel my Silver’s Gryps and Closes class which I had planned for Academy of the Rapier/Atlantian University the following weekend.
It’s been quite some time since I last posted but that doesn’t mean that I have been idle. We took the summer off of eventing and spent it doing tons of work around the house, traveling, and finished it up with Dragon*Con.
We planted a garden.
We trimmed up all the shrubs, mulched the garden area, redid two planting beds, cleaned out tons of vines, and power washed the house.
We had a ton of fun at Dragon*Con.
I made a sweet new steampunk costume.
On the way home we made a detour at Ikea. Got lots of great ideas for some more home project plans including my upcoming sewing room reorganization & redecoration project.
The dogs missed us like crazy.
I reorganized and rearranged the sewing room. The work flow is so much more efficient now.
And I’ve been working on my Wonder Woman rapier armor for Coronation. It’s now ready for trim so I can take it will me to my conference next week.
My fabric arrived on Friday although I didn’t know it had arrived until Saturday morning because I mistakenly thought it was a grill cover that I had also ordered.
I’m planning on getting it washed tonight so I can get started on something this weekend. Although I may start the braid first since that will take the longest.